Saturday, January 17, 2009

United States of Tara - % % %


I'm impressed by the way this show handles Multiple Personality Disorder in a funny, interesting way. The personalities develop the main character and they act as foils for the other members of the family. But I'm going to reserve my final judgment/endorsement until I see more episodes. It feels a little sit-comy and could get lame after a few episodes.

The daughter is a great character and I'm excited to see where they go with her. The son is funny and sweet as well. Even John Corbett, who can be a tree stump of an actor at times, is actually really good. He had range and utilized his cuteness and charm to good effect.

It's got real potential. I was a little nervous when I saw the trailer for the show in the movie theaters along with Patrick Swaze's new cop show (so sad), but it seems like the writers are working it and can keep it interesting in the future. And obviously Toni Colette is fantastic and amazing. I was never worried about her role in this.