Saturday, January 17, 2009

Mad Men - % % % % %


I've only watched the first three episodes, but I can see why this show has won so many awards. There is a lot going on here. The protagonist is a mystery, there are so many points of conflict that I don't know where to begin, and it's fascinating to see a time when people drove drunk, smoked around their kids, let them play inside plastic bags, and openly sexually harassed each other. What a lot has changed in 50 years!

And since this is brought to us by Matthew Weiner, writer & executive producer of the Sopranos, we can be sure to explore masculinity, the male myth and the psyche of men in fascinating and unexpected ways. I hope I don't end up getting lost and realizing I know so little about men, like I did with the Sopranos. I just couldn't get into it cause I didn't get it. But I digress.

So I'm loving this show and I recommend it!

PS How brilliant is it to interrogate men and capitalism through advertising! I love it!