Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Inglorious Basterds - % % % %

Ridiculous.




I could just leave it at that. Fun, funny, gory. I'm still mulling this one over.


What's the point of this movie? Is it that revenge is essentially wish fulfillment, as is much violence? Hollow, fun, and leaves you with a skip in your step but little else?

The ridiculousness permeates every little bit of the film. "Once upon a time... in Nazi occupied France" opens the film, establishing that this is a fairy tale, and a preposterous one at that. Brad Pitt as a hillbilly scalping sergeant. Eli Roth as the Bear Jew who beats Nazis to death with a baseball bat. That's some brilliant casting. I loved the musical selections. I laughed so hard when Bowie's theme from Cat People played to the Jewish heroine prepares seductively for her night of revenge. It's so over the top, I'm not sure how to take it. The most brilliant part of the film is the use of nitrate film stock as an explosive. That's a genius metaphor. Film exacting an eruptive revenge while the heroine laughs maniacally immediately following her gruesome death.

I'll write a more coherent review soon. I just had to get something down. So ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love opinions. But I must say that honey catches more flies than vinegar, and even though I made it through Salo, I don't want to live my life with tons of vile nastiness. So please be honest and polite.