Wednesday, December 10, 2008

30 Rock - % % % % % - rox

Few series hold up to successive viewing - cough - 24 - cough cough. But 30 Rock amazed me. I never stopped laughing out loud or being charmed by the characters' foibles. I did realize that Josh has disappeared and Pete is totally underutilized (props to my Second City alumna!)



Man, I love Tina Fey! I love her self-deprecating humor. I buy her compulsive consumption of crap much more than itty bitty bony arms Deborah Messing. Yeah right she eats a whole box of Crispy Cremes. My ass. Only if she barfs them all up immediately afterward. But Tina Fey, maybe. And drinking wine while walking on her treadmill and drunk dialing her hopeful condo-board, priceless. I would totally do that. Oh, drunken yoga is a much worse idea than you'd imagine. Glurb.

Alec Baldwin becomes a little one note, but it's such a great note that I want to hear it all night long.

The show is rando, but in a charming way - thanks in large part to Tracey Jordan. His interpretation of fame and pop culture madness is brilliant. A few parts mocking racism, a few parts mocking insanity/sanity, and a whole lot of cutey baby eyes for forgiveness.

Kenneth has changed over the years and I like the chances they're taking on mocking his hillbilly Christian background. "Hillbilly milk"! marvelous.

Even Jena is a great send-up of actors, and musical theater actors at that. As a reformed thespian, I did sing the songs of Grease, Fiddler on the Roof, and many more painful musicals in the halls of my high school. Sorry everyone. I also apologize to the citizens of Paris for the Little Mermaid medley. It wasn't my idea! I didn't even know the words for most of those songs!

I'm stunned by how many times an episode I explode with a vociferous "HA! ha!" Or flop on my side laughing.

thank you Netflix. You can't know how you've changed my otherwise crappy week. Instead of feeling like you can't really trust people, I'm titillated by our foibles and forgiving for our sweet flaws.